Here are a few interesting things you should know about Kenyan culture. Promise you Kenya is the best place to find the right crowd to mingle and interact with.
Welcome to our country Kenya where:
- Time is never a priority: but I promise you, your safari driver and tour guide will always keep time.
- Not every Kenyan is an athlete as many people from other countries assume despite the fact that we produce the best athletes across the world.
- Despites the few terrorism incidents, measures have been put into place & security checks are everywhere, so do not be alarmed.
- Now, need I say something about politics? This topic is a big deal in the country. Something new is always happening when it comes to politics. Talk of the arrests, the confrontations, who stole what & the likes.
- Mpesa is the way of life or Kenyans. All you need is a registered sim card of your preferred telecommunication company and a phone. With this you can pay your bills, send & receive money, buy airtime and also borrow loans at your own convenience.
- Whenever you visit any Kenyan homestead and you’re offered food, you must accept. A visitor is considered a blessing hence it would be rude to decline the kind gesture.
- This is the only country where a tourist is greeted “Jambo”. Use this word to greet the locals and everyone will automatically assume you’re a foreigner.
- When it comes to Kenyan roads, always watch out for yourself! As long as there are no traffic officers manning the road, many drivers take advantage & break all the traffic rules.
- The “wazee” should be respected at all cost. Respecting the elderly is a very important aspect of the African culture so one should be very keen when i9nteracting with the elderly.
- For you to survive in the capital city Nairobi, you should be familiar with a bit of the slang language “sheng”.
One thing that all Kenyans have in common all across the country is that we are very welcoming and very friendly and that is why we are amongst the most popular tourist destinations in Africa.
Explore our website to discover the best places to visit while in Kenya & the amazing packages we have in store for you.
KEVIC TOURS AND TRAVEL guarantees the best experience throughout your travels.